Customs & Quarantine




Arrival Quarantine Inspection Immigration Inspection Animal/Plant Quarantine Customs Access into Japan.

You are required to make an oral or a written declaration to Customs about the goods that you bring into Japan.

When the amount of your goods exceeds the limit of tax exemption, please submit the declaration of your accompanied and unaccompanied baggage.

arrowLimits of Tax Exemption (for One Adult)

bikkuri Attention: Commercial goods and commercial samples are taxable and are not subject to tax exemption indicated below.

Name of Product Amount or Price Value
Alcoholic Beverages 3 bottles
Tobacco 400 cigarettes, or 100 cigars, or 500 grams of other tobacco products
Perfume 2 ounces
Others 200, 000 yen (total of overseas market prices)

arrowMain Items Prohibited from Importation

  • Opium, cocaine, heroine, hemp, stimulant drugs, psychotropic substances
  • Pistols and other firearms, ammunition for firearms
  • Obscene or immoral magazines, videotapes etc.
  • Counterfeit brand name products, other articles which infringe upon rights in intellectual property etc.

arrowMain Items Restricted for Importation

  • Animals and plants that require quarantine (please undergo inspection at Animal/Plant Quarantine Counter)
  • Air guns, swords, smoke bombs etc.
  • Pharmaceutical products, cosmetics (subject to quantitative restrictions)
  • Animals and plants stipulated by the CITES (the Washington Treaty)


arrowAnimal Quarantine Regulations

In an effort to reduce the occurrence of rabies, new regulations for dogs, cats, raccoons, foxes and skunks entering Japan have taken effect since November 6, 2004. By following these new regulations, the waiting period for entry into Japan can be made substantially shorter. However, please note that the pre-import preparations are extensive and require considerable time. A procedure manual and all necessary forms are available on the Animal Quarantine Service's website at The United States has not been designated as a rabies-free country. Therefore, procedures for "countries other than a designated region" apply.

The certificates required import must be endorsed by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Office of Veterinary Services after being issued by a licensed veterinarian. For details of obtaining USDA endorsement, please contact you local USDA/APHIS office:

APHIS Office / Texas

APHIS / Oklahoma

903 San Jacinto #220
Austin, TX 78701
TEL 512-916-5554

4020 N.Lincoln Blvd. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
TEL 405-427-9413

New regulations also require blood testing to measure rabies antibody levels. Blood must be sent to a laboratory designated by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.

DOD Veterinary Food Analysis and Diagnostic Laboratory Fort Sam Houston

24272 Shofield Road San Antonio, TX 78234-6232
TEL 210-295-4604
FAX 210-270-2559

Details are available at Please contact the laboratory before you send the blood samples.

In addition, contacting your airline company about the animal well in advance of your travel date is advised since they may have separate requirements as well.

Questions concerning the quarantine procedures can be answered by visiting of FAQs section of the Animal Quarantine Service's website at or by sending an email directly to the Animal Quarantine Service.

arrowTaking Plants and Food Products into Japan

  • Fresh Products Plants and Plant products are subject to plant quarantine to prevent a possible invasion of pests which may inhabit these plants. It is stipulated by Japanese law that a phytosanitary certificate issued by the U.S. Department of Agriculture be attached to the plants.
  • Canned Products Canned meat, fruit or vegetable products are allowed.
  • Dried Products Dried fruit or vegetable products are allowed, as long as they are commercially dried (not home-dried) and remain in their original, unopened packaging.
  • Other Processed Foods Items such as biscuits, crackers, sweets, cereals, dried noodles, etc. may be brought into Japan. Most types of nuts (with the exception of walnuts, which are prohibited may be brought into Japan, particularly if they are salted, dried or roasted.
  • Plants and Plant Materials The importation of any soil is strictly prohibited-including soils attached to the roots of living plants.

bikkuri For more information, please check website of Japan Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF), Plant Protection Station ( ).



arrowImporting medication into Japan is subject to control by the Pharmaceutical Affairs Law and the Customs Law, and regulated by Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.

When you bring medication into Japan for personal use, depending the type and amount of the medication, you may have to apply for a Yakkan Shoumei. Yakkan Shoumei is a kind of import certificate that you must apply for and receive before you leave for Japan. This certificate must be declared to the officer at customs when you arrive in Japan. Applications for the Yakkan Shoumei should be submitted to the Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare closest to your airport of arrival in Japan. (Please see below for more details)

If your medication is classified as a narcotic by Japan, then you are required to obtain advanced permission from the Narcotics Control Department at the Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare closest to your airport of arrival in Japan.

The Consulate-General of Japan in Houston is unable to answer questions related to the import of medications to Japan. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact the Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare in charge of your place of arrival for questions concerning specific medications or for further information.
Contact Details for Further Information
Contact for Drugs, Quasi Drugs, Cosmetics and Medical Devices
Name of Department Contact Information Place of Arrival
Kanto-Shin’etsu Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare TEL: +81-48-740-0800
Narita International Airport
Tokyo International Airport
Kinki Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare TEL: +81-6-6942-4096
Chubu Centrair International Airport
Kansai International Airport
Okinawa Narcotics Control Office, Kyushu Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare TEL: +81-98-853-7100
Naha Airport
 Contact for Narcotics and Psychotropics
Name of Department Contact Information Area in Charge
Narcotics Control Department, Hokkaido Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare TEL:
Narcotics Control Department, Tohoku Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare TEL:
Aomori, Akita, Fukushima, Iwate, Miyagi, Yamagata
Narcotics Control Department, Kanto-Shin’etsu Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare TEL:
Chiba, Gunma, Ibaraki, Kanagawa, Nagano, Niigata, Saitama, Tochigi, Tokyo, Yamanashi
Narcotics Control Department, Tokai Hokuriku Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare TEL:
Aichi, Gifu, Ishikawa, Mie, Shizuoka, Toyama
Narcotics Control Department, Kinki Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare TEL:
Fukui, Hyogo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Shiga, Wakayama
Narcotics Control Department, Chugoku-Shikoku Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare TEL:
Hiroshima, Okayama, Shimane, Tottori, Yamaguchi
Narcotics Control Department, Shikoku Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare TEL:
Ehime, Kagawa, Kouchi, Tokushima
Narcotics Control Department, Kyushu Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare TEL:
Fukuoka, Kagoshima, Kumamoto, Miyazaki, Nagasaki, Oita, Okinawa, Saga