Visa to Enter Japan

From October 11, 2022, ERFS is no longer required and visa exemption arrangements will be resumed.
For details, please see
1. New Border Measures (34) to review on restrictions on new entry of foreign nationals". 

Application for Visa for foreign nationals eligible for Phased Measures toward Resuming Cross-Border Travel

Border enforcement measures to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19)

To Anyone Entering/Returning to Japan

Japan Visa Information Hotline (General Visa inquiries only)
     1- 888-704-4459  ( for United States, 24 hours/7 days a week, English only)  

If you have questions regarding visas, please send an email to 
We are currently receiving a high volume of inquiries regarding visa applications. We are tryig to answer as many inquiries as possible in a timely manner, it may take us longer to respond
Thank you for your understanding.

Visa Information

★Visa applications are only accepted from residents in our jurisdiction


Click here to check the location of the Embassy/Consulate-General with jurisdiction over your place of residence.

★Exemption of Visa (short-term stay)

Please click here to find out if you need a Japanese visa or not.

A visa is NOT necessary for US passport holders visiting Japan for a short-term stay of less than 90 days with the purpose of tourism and business.


Japan Visa Information Hotline (for United States excluding Alaska and Hawaii)
     1- 888-704-4459  (24 hours/7 days a week, English only)  


How to apply?

1. You can apply in person.
  • Our office hours for the Visa Section at the Consulate-General of Japan at Houston are 9:30am-12:30pm and 1:30pm -4:00pm (Monday - Friday, except holidays). However, you can only drop off your application between 9:30am-12:30pm, and only pick up your visa between and 1:30pm 4:00pm.
  • *Please arrive by noon to submit visa applications during our AM hours.
  • A proxy (include Visa Agents) may apply on the applicant's behalf with Power of Attorney.
  • If you pick up a passport for an applicant, please bring an Authorization letter and your ID when you pick it up.
  • The Consulate General of Japan will not make copies. A good rule of thumb: If you want the document back, bring the original AND a photocopy.
2. You can apply via mail.
  • Please note: we only ship to addresses within our jurisdiction.
  • It is only for those who live outside of the Houston area.  
    Those who live in the county below must apply in person.
    Liberty, Chambers, Galveston, Montgomery, Harris, Brazoria, Fort Bend.
  • We accept a copy of your immigration documents. You do not need to submit the original documents like green card, I-20, I-797, DS-2019/IAP-66, etc.
  • If your application package is incomplete, we may send your application package back to you therefore you need to ensure to have all required documents when you apply by mail.
  • When processing your application by mail, please include a self-addressed postage paid return envelope via traceable mail (ex. Fedex, UPS, U.S. Express Mail). If you submit a pre-paid return envelope via FedEx, you must input your address in both the "From" and "To" fields. Do not input Consulate-General of Japan in the "From" field, or your envelope will be discarded.
  • A disclaimer must also be included with visa applications sent by mail to:   
Consulate-General of Japan
ATTN: Visa Section

909 Fannin Street, Suite 3000
Houston, TX 77010

When can I apply?

  • Typically short term visit visa is valid for 3 months therefore the earliest you can apply is 3 months before you enter Japan.  We will not accept your application if you apply too early.  

Processing Time

  • It usually takes 5-7 business days after all required documents are in order.
  • It may take more than 5-7 business days if consultation with our headquarters in Tokyo is required.
  • We do NOT have expedited services. 
Will be closed our office below.

Status of visa application

  • We will let you know by phone or e-mail when your visa is approved and issued. Please provide your best contact information.
  • Please do not call our office to ask about your status. If you don’t hear from us after 7 business days, you can check your status by email at:
           Make sure to include your full name, receipt number (if apply in person), nationality and the date we receive your application in your e-mail.

Visa Fee

  • We only accept CASH. We do not accept personal checks, money order or credit cards.
  • Please click here to check your visa fee.

What kind of visa do you need?   

*Japan does not require a 6 month remaining validity, as long as your ORDINARY passport (no travel document) is valid at the time of travel.
*An applicant with an arrest or criminal record can refer to the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition ACT SECTION 2 LANDING OF A FOREIGN NATIONAL (Denial of Landing) Article 5 (Pages 4-7). Please direct any further inquiries directly to Japanese Immigration

Other information

Japanese Visa Information by The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
The Ministry of Justice, Immigration Services Agency of Japan
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Japanese Visa

Trusted Traveler Program(Accelerate immigration procedures)
Visit Japan Web - Digital Agency of JapanOpen a new window