Long -Term Visit


(Including paid activities in Japan)

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS (Each applicant must submit all of the following documents)
Please do NOT staple/clip/tab documents.

If you are a US citizen, it is not required to submit 6 and 7.

1.  Valid passport, with at least one and a half blank visa pages for the visa to be stamped.
  • If you submit a PERMIT TO REENTER THE UNITED STATES or a TRAVEL DOCUMENT issued by the U.S. government, it must have a validity date at least six months beyond the date of the visa application.

2. Copy of the picture page of your passport.

3. Certificate of Eligibility, original and one photocopy (Front and back)
  • Click here for obtaining the Certificate of Eligibility

4. One visa application form (Form 1-C), which must be typed or clearly printed in English and signed.  Check a sample to see how to fill in the form.
  • An applicant with an arrest or criminal record must provide a copy of his/her court and/or arrest record (including cases that ended with an acquittal or pardon), along with an English translation of those documents if they are in any language other than English. Even if the case did not go to trial, please provide a letter that explains in detail the circumstances surrounding the arrest. We would like to know about the charges, time served, fees paid, and probation (if any).
*Nationals of Russia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia, Turkmenistan, Belarus and Moldova are required to submit 2 copies of their application forms with a passport sized photo attached to it. 

5. One passport sized photograph taken within the last six months.
  • Please attach to visa application with glue. No staples or tape.
  • It has to be a photograph-- no color-copy print-outs.

6. Copy Immigration document showing your legal status and permitting reentry into the U.S., such as permanent residency card or U.S. visa.
  • F-1visa must present copy of endorsed I-20 form.
  • J-1 visa need to present copy of endorsed DS-2019/IAP-66 form.
  • H1-B visa need to present endorsed copy of I-797 form
  • If you do not intend to return to the U.S. after exiting Japan, a visa to the next destination (if required) must be affixed to your passport before you apply for Japanese visa.
  • B1/B2 is not acceptable.

7. Copy of your immigration documents. (For example, if you have a green card, the front and back should be clearly copied so that the edges do not cut off)

For more information, please follow this link